Thursday, October 25, 2012

Amanda Grace's Arrival

Knowing this will be the last baby I carry and deliver, I feel this strong need to journal the experience in detail so I don't forget. I remember bits and pieces of my other deliveries but over time, the details and emotions have slipped away and it makes me sad that I didn't take the time with each of my children to record the experience. So here is the story of Amanda's entry into the world.

I planned to work up until September 7th, a Friday, with the baby's due date on September 10th, a Monday. I wanted to save all my time off from work for after she was born. As August drew to a close, I suspected I might go into labor a little early. We had so much going on in August and Rebecca had a Girl Scout camping trip planned the weekend I was due. Rebecca was so afraid she'd miss out on her birth...not that she would be at the hospital but wanted to see her baby sister the first day she was born. The weekend before my due date was a three day weekend and I think I willed my body to have the baby sometime after Sept 2 but before the following weekend. Once I hit Labor Day, I was ready to have her. I had a huge surge of energy that day. I cleaned house, did laundry, walked the kids to the park in the heat and back, and mowed the back yard with Rebecca. I really wanted to deliver that day and felt my body was ready.

That evening, I started having some really strong contractions but they weren't consistent. I wanted to labor as long as possible at home where I knew I'd be more comfortable than the hospital. I also desired to try and have this baby without the epidural this time. I had great experiences with my other deliveries with epidurals but I just wanted to experience labor and delivery without drugs if possible and was hoping she wouldn't be all back labor like the others. I went to bed around 11pm when the contractions seemed to have halted. I woke up at around 1:00am with a very strong contraction. I got up to use the restroom, and had a lot of pressure. It scared me enough to think if I waited any longer to go to the hospital, I might be having the baby in my bathroom. I woke Russ up and told him I thought we better go and get me checked at the hospital. Part of me still thought I'd get there and find out I was just having braxton hix and be sent home but I felt it was better to be safe than sorry.

Mom was available to watch our sleeping kiddos while we headed to the hospital. I checked into Fresno Community around 1:30am. I was having some strong contractions all the way there in the car but still not painful. They admitted me to the triage section of the maternity ward and I got the sense from the nurses before they examined me that they thought I was far off from having a baby. My blood pressure was elevated when they checked it and I was having to breathe thru my contractions at this point as they continued to get closer together and stronger. The nurse then checked to see how far I was dilated. We were shocked to find I was already at a 7. The nurses said more than once, I seemed too calm for being this far along. When I said this was my fourth baby and I typically deliver very fast once my water breaks, they started moving really quick. Theyimmediately moved me over to the labor and delivery room and called my doctor up, who thankfully was the doctor on call that night. I expressed that I wanted to try and deliver naturally this time but was open to getting an epidural. I had a great Labor & Delivery nurse. She gently encouraged me by saying since I was already at a 7 and I have a history of delivering fast that I was going to do great and she thought I would do just fine without one. I needed that encouragement right then since I was starting to get very nervous of how much pain I could tolerate and doubting if I could do it.

Within minutes, I was feeling so much pressure and pain with each contraction and remember being so scared. It seemed like a long wait for the doctor to arrive but she got there at 2:15 am and broke my water at 2:30. I was at a 10 almost immediately. My body was shaking, which the nurse said was normal and I could start pushing with each contraction now. I prayed "Lord, please help me do this" and told Russ I was afraid. He asked what I was afraid of and I said "of the pain!!" I knew for sure I was past the point of no return now. The pressure to push was so overpowering and unbelievable. The nurse reminded me to hold my breath and bear down. It was so hard to not scream loudly in pain. I pushed for about 3 minutes and delivered Amanda at 2:41am. The immediate relief having her out was incredible. They quickly wiped her body off and layed her on my chest almost instantly from time of delivery to have skin to skin contact. It was pure heaven! I was so thankful my body cooperated and I was blessed with being able to deliver without the epidural or any drugs this time. What an amazing experience!!

My recovery has been by far the fastest of all my deliveries. It was so nice to get up and go to the bathroom and get cleaned up within a half hour of delivering. I couldn't do that with the others because of the cathater and being numb from the waist down. I also didn't have the shakes after delivering or swelling in my legs and feet. My favorite part was that I didn't feel groggy and just felt very present mentally for the whole experience and during the bonding with Amanda immediately after delivering.

It is so hard to take all the pictures we want during and after the delivery since we get so caught up in what is going on. Here are some of pictures we did manage to take though. 

Laboring
In between contractions.
 Welcome Sweet Baby
Right after delivery

7lbs 8oz, 18 in long born 9/4/12 at 3:41am

Happy Mommy and Daddy
 The Delivery Team
What I love about my husband...he makes me laugh!! He had me laughing so hard shortly after delivering when all the staff had cleared the room and we had a few moments to ourselves before moving to my recovery room. Russ said he had to keep himself from busting up at a very innapropriate time - my pushing the baby out - because in my pain, I had turned my head to the side and my lip caught on my pillow as I was moaning. He said I looked like Rocky Balboa. I told him you try pushing a baby out and see what faces you make! Seriously though I bet it was pretty funny looking and if roles were reversed, I probably would have laughed too.
Proud Daddy of 3rd Girl

Dr. Stain - She ended up having a busy night right after my delivery.

Labor & Delivery Nurse Nicole - She was great!



Meeting Baby Sister
It was so nice having a recovery room all to myself for the first time. We had already decided that Russ would go home to sleep that first night so he could at least get a good night's sleep and it would be an easier adjustment for the other three kids. Since I delivered in the early morning, my mom took the kids to school. They were so excited when they woke up and were told that Mommy had the baby in the middle of the night. Russ went and picked them up at lunch time to bring them to the hospital to meet Amanda for the first time. The looks on their faces upon seeing her was precious!! They couldn't wait to each hold her. I ended up staying just the one night, anxious to get home and get some more rest than what is ever possible in a hospital.

 

Noni & Grandma Visiting Amanda in Hospital


Going Home
I was so ready to go home on the 5th but knew it was a long shot that both Amanda and I would be cleared to go before lunch. I know how slow the process is in hospitals. My doctor cleared me by breakfast but the pediatrician wasn't available until early afternoon to exam Amanda and clear her. She's the first of our kids not to be jaundiced. It was 4:30pm before we got out of there. I will say the food was great at Fresno Community Hospital and so convenient to just pick up the phone and order from a menu.
Her going home dress with a bow of course!


He may have wanted a brother but Ethan absolutely adores Amanda.

Rebecca looking like a little mommy.
 
Kendall & Amanda - Pretty in Pink

 



1 comment:

The Isaacs said...

I absolutely LOVE this post... I love hearing birth stories! I am glad that everything turned out how you desired with the actual delivery. You did such a great job capturing this special time- I am sooooo incredibly happy for you guys!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.