I've been a little sad the past two weeks as Summer break has come to a close. Maybe I'm in the minority but I love having the kids out of school. It means less structured days...not having to check homework nightly, herd the kids off to bed at a set time and then make sure they are up and ready in time for school. I like the lazy evening schedule, the beach trips, BBQ dinners with family and friends, and just more family time. I always have grandiose plans of what I'll accomplish during the summer and was hoping for a few more beach trips this year. But all in all as I reflect back on the last couple of months, we had a great summer!
As we helped the kids prep for their first day of school, I tried not to let my feelings about it coming to an end be evident to them. I want them to be enthusiastic about the new school year and I know I'll get out of my funk in a few days. I actually like structure most of the time and will welcome the cooler weather. In fact to help myself and the kids, I made a cake tonight to celebrate the fun summer and new beginnings. Each shared their favorite part of summer. It made my heart happy to hear what was special to them. I smiled as they were making their last preparations for the morning (backpacks and outfits ready), and overhearing their cute conversations as the older child passed down their wisdom to the younger child of what the new year will bring. Very precious!
 |
| Goodbye Summer 2013! |
Here's our summer in review.
First Tooth for Amanda
It took 10 months but finally came in. One on a Saturday and the next morning the second bottom tooth appeared.
Camp for Rebecca
This was Rebecca's first year going to camp. It was for one week at Camp Keola located on Huntington Lake. I was a little nervous but she was so excited to go despite not knowing anyone else in her group. She had a blast and said she definitely wants to go again next year. Ethan even wants to go next summer. This was her favorite part of summer 2013.
 |
| Rebecca (3rd from left) with her cabin group and counselor. |
Martial Arts Camp for Ethan
A good friend of mine told me about this awesome daily deal for a one week camp from an instructor her boys had taken classes from in the past. The class ran from 8:30 am - 3:30 pm the week of 4th of July. Ethan LOVED this class and said it was one of his favorite summer events.
 |
| Ethan in plain clothes watching instructor show how to throw knives. |
Meeting New Nephew
My brother and sister-in-law welcomed a new baby boy to their family through the miracle of adoption. We are all so in love with this precious baby and in awe of how he made it into our lives!
Paisley & Amanda
I finally got to meet our niece Amber's baby girl Paisley. What a cutie pie!! She is four months younger than Amanda.
Trip to Southern California
It had been too long since we'd made a trip to our old stomping grounds. Russ' brother and sister-in-law were kind enough to let us stay with them for the weekend. We had a wonderful time catching up with friends we hadn't seen in years. We won't wait so long to return this time. This was Kendall's favorite summer memory.
La Verne
 |
| Rebecca and Ethan used to walk around this fountain as toddlers. |
 |
| Visiting my college. |
 |
| Enjoying time at our old neighborhood park. |
 |
| Ice Cream break at historic Sugar Bowl in Covina. |
 |
| Glad we had opportunity to see my friend and former coworker Bill. |
 |
Our favorite neighbors the Esquedas - Unfortunately their oldest
daughter April wasn't home this night. It was so much fun catching up with them! |
 |
Us with the Esqueda family and good college friend of mine Leslie.
It's great to have friends that no matter how much time has passed
it feels like days when you do finally get together. These are those type
of friends! |
Newport Beach
We love this beach. It is so clean. We set up a tent under the pier for Amanda to play in and be shaded while the kids played in the water and collected sea shells. Rebecca even found starfish on the pier. We let them stay in the ocean. Amanda loved getting her feet in the water and touching the sand.
 |
| Russ' brother Jeff fished off the pier. He's holding a crab here. |
 |
| Kendall spent most of her time collecting shells. |
 |
Ethan heading out to catch some waves while Rebecca
is body surfing in the background. |
 |
| That's Rebecca swimming |
 |
Russ looking down from Pier at
Amanda and me. |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.