Saturday, January 4, 2014

Lee's 2013 Wrap Up

I seriously can't believe how fast 2013 went and we are already beginning a new year. Every year it seems I say that but every year it seems like it cycles even faster than the previous. Does that feeling ever stop? So much occurred in this past year! When I think back on it now, it's so strange how far away some events feel yet how quickly the year as a whole flew by. God has been so good to us meeting our true needs and blessing us with new wisdom and understanding. Can't wait to see what's in store for us this year...Cheers!!

Here's a snapshot of events from beginning of the kids' school year thru the end of the year.

THE BEGINNING OF A NEW SCHOOL YEAR


Rebecca was so excited to start the school year as a big 6th grader on campus and participate in any sport she could though her favorites are cross country and soccer. She loves her teacher who also happened to be Ethan's football coach.

I wasn't thrilled at first with Ethan playing tackle football but he was so excited to be able to play and with the weight limit and all the protective gear provided we allowed him. He was so darn cute all geared up. I'll never forget coming home from work the first day he got his uniform and his excitement in wanting to show me how to put his jersey on with the shoulder pads already in it just like his coach showed him. So cute! It's been a much tougher year for Ethan academically. He's got a wonderful teacher who is tough and demanding yet understands him and knows how to balance pushing him to achieve what he's capable of without pushing him to complete burnout. It's been trying for me emotionally at times but we are getting through it and know he's learning great skills. Fostering his love for music, he joined band and is playing coronet (small trumpet) and we also started him on piano with an excellent teacher. He practices without any reminders from us and is thoroughly enjoying both.

Kendall is excelling in 1st grade and is quite the little reader. She also joined the same Girl Scout troop as Rebecca as a Daisy.

First day of school


Rebecca (L) heading off to class with her friend. I understood that she didn't want me to walk her to her classroom.

Kendall with her teacher

Such a cutie sitting at her first desk.

Amanda giving hugs to big brother Ethan as he heads into class

Showing off his new uniform


Waving as he heads onto field for his game


Rebecca found out she loves running long distance now. She did great and placed in top 10 during several of the meets but didn't make district finals. She was disappointed but we kept telling her to keep working at it and she'll get there. I love her dedication and drive.

Rebecca in the center at Choir concert. She's hoping to get a solo part in the Spring.


Rebecca receiving a surprise athletic award from her coaches for Cross Country.

The girl loves soccer. I have to say I really enjoyed watching her games and could be found every Saturday cheering on the sidelines. She had a tough but great coach that really helped the girls develop into stronger players and work well as a team getting into the Finals. She's looking forward to playing indoor soccer for the first time this January to learn quick footwork.

AMANDA TURNED ONE - SEPT 4TH - THE VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR BIRTHDAY PARTY


Amanda is going on 16 months as I write this blog entry. She started walking right before her first birthday and has been keeping us on our toes since. She has 5 teeth and cutting her 6th tooth. She has been all done with bottles for a couple months now and drinks whole milk from sippy cups only and feeds herself. She has such a cute personality and sense of humor already.  She brings much joy and laughter to all of our lives!

For her first birthday we invited family over to celebrate with the theme of The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I had a lot of fun planning it.

THE DECORATIONS

I used balloons from Dollar Tree separating out the dark green and light green for the caterpillar's body and a red one for the head. I used construction paper to create feet, eyes and nose and pipe cleaners for the antennas. We attached it to the wall with tape. For her highchair I used a pillowcase to cover the back for easy cleanup and because her blue checkered backrest didn't fit the color scheme or look like the butterfly I was attempting. I used more pipe cleaners to create antennas, fairy wings from Dollar Tree attached to the backrest to look like wings and cut open two tutu skirts from Dollar Tree attached to the tray with double sided tape.




THE FOOD TABLE

This is where I had a lot of fun. I followed the book by Eric Carle for all the food used for the lunch and thanks to Pinterest found someone's template to use for the food cards (LearnwithPlayatHome.com).



















 
 

 THE CAKE

Funny enough, Amanda had no interest in tasting her cake. She poked it a few times with her fork and played with the frosting with her hands but turned her head and started crying when we tried to give her a taste. I guess it's a good thing she isn't into sweets.







 

 PRESENT TIME

Here she is playing with a few of the gifts she received -  the Weebles treehouse Grandma and Grandpa gave her and the tunnel from us.



 HALLOWEEN - PUMPKIN PATCH & PUMPKIN CARVING PARTY

Our annual trek to Hillcrest Farm in Reedley did not disappoint. It wouldn't feel like Fall without going with the kids. Then we hosted our family pumpkin carving party and took the kids trick or treating around our neighborhood. Rebecca was a genie (thanks to Grandma's mad sewing skills), Ethan was a ninja, Kendall was a "sparkly witch", and Amanda was a ladybug. For fun at the party, Russ and I dressed in afro wigs.



 



 

This tree in our backyard is beautiful when the leaves change color!
 


I couldn't stop laughing at Russ in his wig and mustache he stole from my brother's costume. Too bad we didn't have the polyester suits to go with the wigs. Disco baby!!

Matt helping Maggie carve her pumpkin

Grandma lending a hand with Kendall's pumpkin.

Rebecca and Ethan cleaned and carved theirs all by themselves.


Maggie and Kendall...such a cute relationship these two have together as cousins & friends!


I saw this design in a magazine and thought how cute and perfect for Amanda's. Easy too!!

Russ' masterpiece

Kendall's princess castle pumpkin - yep saw that in a magazine too and simplified it for her!

I don't remember if this was Rebecca's or Ethan's but nice job!


Amanda did not like her hood on and was tired of being in the stroller so we let her get out and walk some while trick-or-treating.


CHRISTMAS

The kids each had a Christmas program at school and Ethan had his piano recital. It was fun seeing each of them perform. Rebecca's choir sounds great. They are fortunate to have an excellent choir director at their school. Kendall was so cute doing all the actions to each of the songs her grade performed. I'm so impressed with how quickly Ethan has picked up learning both instruments.
 
We did our annual walk down Christmas Tree Lane...Brrrr was it cold that night! Got a pic of kids with Santa though.
 
We spent Christmas Eve at Russ' parents for a yummy dinner, went to candle light service at church and then came back to their house for dessert and kids opening their gift from Noni and Papa. They gave each child a gift card. We took them individually to the store to pick out an item with their gift card. It was so fun to watch them browse and really think about what they wanted to use their card on for purchasing. Rebecca picked out Converse Chuck Taylor shoes she's been wanting. Ethan used it for a DS game and Pokemon cards, and Kendall bought a Razor scooter with her card.
 
Rebecca woke everyone up on Christmas morning this year all by herself as Santa Lucia as per our Swedish heritage tradition. She was nervous she'd sleep in and miss waking us but she had nothing to worry about. Russ and I were up late Christmas Eve wrapping presents until 2 am so we were out. Even the other kids were asleep when she came in around 7:15am. Amanda would have kept sleeping but the kids wanted her up to participate all together in opening gifts.
 
All Ethan's idea to wear his suit and tie handed down a couple of year's ago from older cousin. I was floored but
thrilled he asked to wear it for his band performance. He grew out of his dress shoes so we sported the high tops.
Very stylin' young man!

Had to pose for this picture after his piano recital. We weren't at a good angle to take one during his actual
playing of the solo piece or duet with his teacher.

My cutie pie Kendall


Add caption
 
Russ stringing lights outside


The Christmas Tree - Kids decorated it all on their own making sure the breakable ones were out of Amanda's reach.

Our front door. I had fun making the Joy sign from old fencing we had in yard. The greens and pine cones are from
the yard too. I think I could easily be a country girl!
 
All bundled up for our walk down Christmas Tree Lane.




Stockings filled on Christmas morning


Rebecca shopped with her own money to get presents for her brother and sisters and then created a scavenger hunt
for them to find their gifts. So sweet!



Opening up stocking goodies.

The kids couldn't wait any longer so they begged to wake up Amanda and bring her out to be included in the fun.

My loves!!

Kids looking outside to see the basketball hoop Santa brought.


Kendall strolling the toy aisle figuring out what to buy with her Target gift card.

Choices...Choices..Choices!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.